The eco view
We make optimum use of the latest technology in relation to: waste recycling; pollution-reduction and non-CFC use; low energy-use devices and heat recovery systems.
We also have our own plant and tree nursery using only indigenous plants to re-stock our grounds. Since it is our belief that environmental protection must extend into all levels of the community, the Group also offers community training on environmental responsibility. Wherever possible, we purchase all our foodstuffs from the local community, we also employ local musicians and dancers. In addition to this the hotels of the group typically work towards the provision of:
- Out-reach programme to the orphanages and hospitals of the area which allows for visits from our staff, the provision of funds, the hosting of seasonal events and the provision of clothing and foodstuffs.
- The promotion of local handicrafts, glassware, pottery, beadwork and clothing in our Gift Shop.
- The creation of temporary and permanent jobs for the local community. We also offer training and work-exposure programmes for school leavers.
- Showcasing of cultural dance, costume, singing and cultural craft as part of our corporate undertaking to support and sustain the cultural heritage of the nation.
- Participation in a number of charity events, such as sponsored marathons and ‘fun runs’ to raise money for a broad range of charities.
In order to promote the overall health of their workforce, Serena has also established the Employee Wellness Programme, which aims to address the holistic health needs of not only Serena’s staff, but also of the communities that surround their camps and lodges. In essence, the programme is devoted to reducing the incidence of accident and illness in the workplace, promoting healthy lifestyles, maximizing potential and promoting optimum quality of life.