Dining at the Mara Serena Safari LodgeThe Maasai-inspired dining room overlooks both the rooms and the pool and offers magnificent views across the plains and down to the river. Decorated with traditional scarlet Maasai cloaks and spears, it offers open-plan seating and a relaxed atmosphere. Linked to the dining room is a welcoming bar area, which also offers exterior seating around the panoramic pool.
Breakfast and lunch
Breakfast and lunch are presented in buffet-style and feature a wide range of international choices. In typical safari style, we offer a ‘full English Breakfast' as well as European options while our lunch menus will typically include meat, poultry, fish and vegetarian options.
Our table d'hôte dinner menus feature a salad buffet, soup, entrée, pudding, cheese and biscuits and tea or coffee. Vegetarian options are always available. The majority of our meat and dairy products, as well as our fruits and vegetables are sourced from the communities that surround the reserve.
We offer three special ‘theme' nights which, as well as offering a broad range of international options, also feature a central ‘theme'.
- Pasta Night: features a range of home-made pastas and traditional Italian sauces
- Mongolian Night: presents a fusion of oriental stir-fry, BBQs and spiced roasts
- Kenyan Night: features such Kenyan favourites as ‘Nyama Choma' (traditionally roasted meats), ‘Sukuma' (local spinach cooked with tomatoes, onions, garlic and coriander), ‘Posho' (maize) and other delicious cultural specialities
We have long experience in presenting a wide variety of special events, which can be presented by our pool, in the restaurant or in the bush. We can also offer a selection of local musicians, live bands or local traditional dancers.
Wines, beers, spirits and soft drinks
Our wine list offers a broad selection of old- and new-world wines, and local and imported beers and spirits. We also offer a wide range of soft drinks including an array of freshly-made local fruit juices. We serve only the finest Kenyan coffee and tea; we also offer a wide range of fruit and herbal infusions.
We are expert in arranging breakfasts, lunches, dinners and cocktails in the bush. We have a number of dedicated sites (by the hippo pools of the river, on a panoramic hill-top or on the savannah plains), which are typically presented with tables, safari chairs, ‘bush bar' and a ‘bush kitchen', where a broad range of meats, poultry, fish and vegetables are cooked on-site (supplemented by fresh soups, salads and puddings from our hotel kitchens). In the evenings, ‘sun-downer' cocktails are traditionally served around a campfire and can be followed by a lamp-lit ‘bush dinner'.
- Maasai-styled dining room with panoramic views down to the Mara River
- Full English ‘bush breakfast' by the hippo pool
- Traditional ‘bush supper': by the river, with campfire, lanterns and Maasai warriors
- Watch the sun go down with special ‘sundowner' cocktails, canapés and entertainment
- Picnic lunches - at your command
- Special ‘theme' nights, such as Italian, Kenyan, or Oriental Stir-fry
- Excellent selections of wines, spirits, beers, cocktails and freshly-squeezed juices
- Balloon flight over the Mara, landing to a full English breakfast on the plains