The Shigar Fort Residence
The Palace on the Rock
Located on the legendry route to the world’s second highest mountain K-2, and known as Fong-Khar, which in the local language means the “Palace on the Rock”. This was restored by Aga Khan Cultural Service Pakistan (AKCSP-P) an institution of the Aga Khan Development Network. Shigar Fort Residence is a unique heritage guesthouse that offers guests the opportunity to experience the restored original architecture of the 17th Century Raja Fort Palace, while enjoying the modern amenities and services of a luxury guest house.
The complex at Shigar comprises of the 400-year-old Fort / Palace and two more recent buildings, the "Old House" and the "Garden House". The former Palace of the Raja of Shigar has been transformed into a 20 room heritage guesthouse, with the grand audience hall serving as a museum of Balti culture and featuring select examples of fine wood-carvings, as well as other heritage objects.
- 20 rooms including suites
- Shuttle Airport Transfer
- Fongkhar Restaurant offers Pakistani, Local, Chinese and Continental specialties
- Residents Lounge offers private parties and snacks
- Historical Vine Garden offers BBQ (June to September).
- Guided tour of the Museum featuring original carvings, indigenous artifacts, and architectural history
- Conference Room
- 24-hour Business Centre
- Lobby Lounge offers satellite channels
- 24-hour forex
- Room service, Valet, laundry
- Doctor on call
- Power (220V/ 3 pin square- plugs/shaver sockets)