Zanzibar Serena Hotel Eco-Resort in Stone Town
We host a number of eco-programmes, all of which are designed to support and sustain the natural and human community of which we are a part. Such programmes vary according to need, but presently they are as follows:
- We offer subsidized medical care to the local community - particularly in relation to maternal care and child-immunization; also in relation to HIV/AIDS sensitization.
- We operate an out-reach programme to the orphanages and hospitals of the area which allows for visits from our staff, the provision of funds, the hosting of seasonal events and the provision of clothing and foodstuffs.
- We run our own tree and shrub nursery and supply plants to the local community.
- We create both temporary and permanent jobs for the local community. We also offer training and work-exposure programmes for school leavers.
- We encourage interface between our guests and the local villages - hosting tours and promoting the sale of handicraft items.
- We showcase cultural dance, costume, singing and cultural craft as part of our corporate undertaking to support and sustain the cultural heritage of our nation.
- We work with a number of local schools, both by providing educational materials and by hosting environmental training sessions for the pupils.
In terms of its own ecological ‘foot' print, the Zanzibar Serena Hotel abides by a code of responsible practice in relation to: energy conservation (inverter systems have recently been installed so as to reduce our use of diesel-fuelled generators), waste recycling (glass, plastics, ‘wet waste' and the distribution of food-waste to local pig-farmers), sewage disposal, air emissions, non-CFC use, pesticide-use, noise reduction and visual pollution. Wherever possible, local produce is featured on the menus. At Zanzibar Serena Hotel as well as our other locations in Africa we aim to provide a unique eco-friendly resort experience.
In order to promote the overall health of their workforce, Serena has also established the Employee Wellness Programme, which aims to address the holistic health needs of not only Serena's staff, but also of the communities that surround their camps and lodges. In essence, the programme is devoted to reducing the incidence of accident and illness in the workplace, promoting healthy lifestyles, maximizing potential and promoting optimum quality of life.